Visit The Alliance Homepage

Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 03:58:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
26398 Posts in 2742 Topics by 484 Members Latest Member: - ljo8ullivan Most online today: 57 - most online ever: 281 (July 08, 2008, 08:04:09 PM)
+  The Alliance Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Ask a Question
| | |-+  work and methadone
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: work and methadone  (Read 6068 times)
sones
« on: February 08, 2008, 03:25:24 PM »

I have been trying to get back to work. I find it particularly difficult when I am on methadone because I sweat profusely even when I hard do anything. So I tried subutex, but I cannot handle it because I find I get very depressed. My drug worker thinks the answer is to go up to 100ml - I used to be on 50/60. Has anyone got experience about dealing with the profuse sweating? Does the sweating abate with time? I really want to be able to work again, because I am so depressed.

Is there any help with depression while a drug addict? My doctor is not willing to prescribe anything, and says I must see my drug worker, who says suggests increasing the dose of methadone.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have tried detoxing on quite a number of occasions now and I am just losing confidence that I will ever be able to get control of my life again.

With thanks,
Sones
Jim

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 04:23:52 PM »

increasing the methadone dose is not the answer to everything, certainly not depression.  If they looked at the NICE guidance they would be contemplating offering CBT and maybe considering and anti depressant.  In terms of sweating an incresed dose will only help if you are sweating due to opiate withdrawal.  However sweating is a problem for many on methadone and in most cases is not related to withdrawal.  Some people have said anti histaminea are a help, but I'm not sure this has a robust evidence base. 

Increasing the dose should really be purely around treating your opiate dependency and if the present dose does not adequately cover the symptoms (physical, psychological and social) then that might indicate a dose increase.  Sweating can be a physical symptom of withdrawal but more often than not it isn't.  Its even possible that an increased dose might increase the sweating by increasing the theoretical histamine reaction.
sturitchie
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 08:29:09 PM »

I understand the sweating i sweat a great deal too , and not the hot and cold sweats of oncoming withdrawl but i am afraid I havent found a solution for it.

As for the depression (and i have to be very carefull here as i am no doctor) It depends how serious it is clinical depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain that needs medical interventon and no amount trying to pull your self toghther or councelling will help on its own.

You mention though that you are feeling out of controll because of several failed detoxes and mild to moderate depression can respond well to one to one councelling. I too have had a very long history of what i thought were failed attepmts to get clean(still dont like that phrase was never dirty in the first place) but in my case I was striving to do something because i thought i should , the truth of the matter was like you i never gave up and when I allowed myself to accept maintenance as a viable treatment option and one that works for me I lost a great deal of the interalised anger and frustation that can be at the bottom of depression.

Saint John wort can be effective in helping with mild depression , but please check with your doctor before taking anything else that might interfere with you methadone, Jims advice is good and  would folow it try and talk it over with your shared care worker , maybee try some counslling and if thats not working then I am sure someone at the alliance can advocte on your bealf if the clinical guidlines are not being adhered too. Sometimes it takes help from someone else when i was depressed i did nothave the strength to take on any fight.

I wish you the very best mate take care and let us know how it goes regrds stuart   
thegreyman
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 01:02:48 AM »

Hi there sones, a few years ago i was very depressed and i was on a meth script, i went to my gp explained how i felt,  Dr had me do a test so he could ascertain the level of my depression,( was a multiple choice based set of questions and you just go thru em and circle the answer or statement that u feel explains best how you're thinking and feeling.)  On the basis of the 'scoring' of this test they can then determine best course of action. i was put onto anti deps and they helped me greatly, my meth dose stayed the same thru out. Get to your gp soon as. Chin up, Wish you all the best with your recovery.
Morpheus
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 06:49:26 PM »

I would hazard a guess that most longtime drug users (legal and illegal) with dependency issues, suffer degrees of Depression. My GP has had me on Prozac for years.
lucky
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 07:10:39 PM »

I was put on Citalopram for depression when I was on the juice. Made me bad for a couple of days and after 3 weeks....still nothing. (I know it can take longer for them to work)
I thought that A,D's were just another problem for me in the future and as long as I'm pain-free and busy, I tend to be o.k depression wise.
But there shouldn't be any reason why you can't try some A,D tablets if you want.
Do you suffer from anxiety or panic attacks?
the working man

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 06:29:42 PM »

Hya sones,I too am on subutex and the first few weeks I was really depressed but it does get better with time.Give em a chance to work properly and if you still feel shit after a few weeks then seek some profesional advice.
Fluoro

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 04:35:01 PM »

In addition to being on a meth script, I also suffer from depression-which i get meds for. I have been considering going back to work as i find being out of work (whilst less demanding than working), that it adds to my feelings of low self worth,depression and boredom.

My question is this: can an employer sack somebody for being on a medication like methadone? I know that when ive filled out job application forms in the past, some ask about any existing illnesses and any meds that you take. Ive been told that it is against the law to prejudice somebody based on disabilities/meds that the person may be taking, but we all know that in the real world a person can be sacked/not given a job for any number of reasons.

immycunliffe
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 02:30:37 PM »

It sounds like your not ready to deal with the clear headedness that Subutex gives.  Often people with mental health problems stay on doses of methadone just to knumb their feelings.
sturitchie
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 08:31:45 AM »

My question is this: can an employer sack somebody for being on a medication like methadone? I know that when ive filled out job application forms in the past, some ask about any existing illnesses and any meds that you take. Ive been told that it is against the law to prejudice somebody based on disabilities/meds that the person may be taking, but we all know that in the real world a person can be sacked/not given a job for any number of reasons.

As far as i understand , and dont take this as gospel , if you dont declare whats wrong with you and what meds you are on and they find out later then you can be sacked and in some cases procecuted for fraud too.(the procecution bit is unlikely though).

If you have been in a job for more than two years and you develop a condition( like addiction ) and you disclose it then your empoyer has to give you the chance to get it sorted all though depending on the type of work, like driving you may still lose your job. If they discover you are using and you havent told them then they can sack you on the spot.

This information is old and may have changed if someone knows better then please correct me regards stuart   
immycunliffe
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 02:10:06 PM »

I never state the fact that I am on Methadone, it is not a disability.  I filled a job app form out for the treatment provider that I now work for, & they didnt say 'you should have put on the job app that you were on Methadone'.  I think that that part of the job app means for you to out illnessess like Cancer & stuff.  I would never tell potential employers that I am on a Methadone script as I havent got an illness, & I can get of the Methadone & it's not a problem.

Thats my point of view anyway.

Why shoot yourself in the foot before you have started!
admin
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 05:48:33 PM »

Imorang-utan,

I'd not advise other people to do that!  Basically, if you're found to have not declared a medication on an application form which specifically asks you to declare all medications you take, then you are liable to instant dismissal for gaining the job on fraudulent grounds.  If this happens within the first year of you working somewhere, you don't even have recourse to a tribunal to challenge the decision, and in any case, a tribunal would be likely to rule against you because you failed to disclose. 

If there's no section of the application asking you to disclose medication, then by all means keep quiet, but if an application form specifically asks, you would be risking a lot if you decided not to declare it.  We get a lot of calls from people who are worried that they're going to be sacked because of their script.  If they have declared their medication on their forms, we are often able to help them negotiate with their employers on the basis that they were honest about it in the first instance.  If they didn't declare on their forms, then there's very little we can do because in the eyes of their employer (and the law) they obtained that job by omitting relevant information where it was specifically asked for, which is fraudulent.

There are also jobs which are very definitely complicated by a script - any job which requires driving, for instance.  If an employer knows that you are going to have regular re-tests to keep your licence, they might well consider it safer for them to employ someone not on a script so as to avoid the fearful workings of the DVLA.

U
karen
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 04:38:32 AM »

please please go back to work , that will help your deppression so will the change in life style , dont worry about the sweats half of the uk have them and there not all on meths..i know its a pain in the a$$ i had hot sweats for years ....if the deppression is a big problem for you , you could ask your gp for fluxotine-prozac , they worked for me ,but give them a couple of weeks... good luck Smiley

sones
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 05:35:07 PM »

Thanks to everyone for their replies to my original question.
I was also wondering if anyone else on Methedone felt that it didn't last 24 hours, I personaly feel rubbish every day until about an hour after I have taken it at which point I feel fine. This has been the case since being on 30 mls, I am now on 70 mls and it's still the same. My drugs worker keeps saying it's because I should be on more Methadone but I really don't understand that if Meth is meant to last 24 hours why is it that I am unable to do anything until an hour after taking my meth? I personally don't feel increasing my dose is going to help and my drugs worker is pretty insistant that I don't split my dose into 2 (i.e Take it twice a day).
I want to start working again, but at the moment this would be pretty hard as just going to the chemist in the morning is a struggle as I don't feel good.
Any opinions would be much appreciated.
Sones
mcdermott
Omar's coming...
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 05:48:28 PM »

Small bit of science:

Methadone has a half life of 24 hours. What this means is, for most people taking it, 50% of the drug will still be available to your body at the 24 hour stage. So the vast majority of people wouldn't experience any withdrawal 24 hours later. And personally, I can go about four or five days before I start to get sufficiently sick as to notice it.

However, I'm a slow metabolizer. Other people are faster metabolizers, and so will excrete the stuff faster. There are a couple of things that you can do to avoid speeding up the rate at which you metabolize the drug. eg. Don't do stimulants. Avoid alcohol.

That said, when you've tried those things and you're still experiencing withdrawal, the next step is usually to try splitting the dose. If you do an in-patient detox, they'll usually split the dose precisely because it ensures maximum bio-availability and a smooth slope to the withdrawal.

Given that, I'm curious as to why your drugs worker is insistent that you don't split your dose. Is it because you're on supervised consumption? Perhaps they just don't want to foot the bill for two pickups?

If you aren't on supervised consumption, I'd ignore what your keyworker says and try splitting the dose. If you *are* on supervised consumption, I'd make a formal request to be allowed to have twice daily dosing. If you do this, and they still refuse, get in touch with our helpline.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: