Visit The Alliance Homepage

Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 01:55:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25875 Posts in 2717 Topics by 448 Members Latest Member: - RMullan Most online today: 26 - most online ever: 281 (July 08, 2008, 08:04:09 PM)
+  The Alliance Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Ask a Question
| | |-+  methadone & egypt
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: methadone & egypt  (Read 6887 times)
welsh lady

« on: March 08, 2011, 09:14:29 PM »

going on holiday soon to egypt and my bf is a long term methdone user is he allowed to take it over there? its worrting me a bit!!
thanks
simon

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 09:18:02 PM »

http://www.m-alliance.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1300.0.html
That should answer your question but are you sure you want to go to Egypt?
tpvalley
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »

wouldnt it be wiser to have found out before booking?!
welsh lady

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 04:58:12 PM »

If you look at my previous posts ,basically i am not meant to know he is on maintenance methadone so I went ahead and booked it cos he said he wanted to go there just that I do know and have done for the last few years ,we have been on holiday before and had no problems so fingers crossed now!!
OP8S

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 03:00:04 PM »

I remember reading you previous posts welsh lady, what's your boyfriend going to do about this particular predicament ? Evertime I have taken meth or physeptone tabs with me on foriegn holidays I have always carried it along with the letter from my prescribing GP as hand luggage. If you away for a few weeks this can be quite bulky & is normally opened before boarding the plane. I must say though that I have never had any hassle from any airline employees, even when I was taking 1weeks methadone on an internal flight, it was them that suggested that I always carry it as hand luggage. I don't have a problem with them looking at my meds, it's all perfectly legal. International journeys I'm usually prescribed physeptone tabs ( methadone tabs ) the only problem with this is that the pharmacist will only supply them in 5mg tablets, so you can imagine a two week holiday when your being prescribed over 20tabs a day. Enough to raise the eyebrow of any customs official ! Turkey was alright with me taking physeptone in, but I'm afraid that I can't help you with Egypt. It could be a good time for your boyfriend to fess up, you obviously love him.

" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell
Flip

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 08:28:54 AM »

I see a couple of possible  problems here. Last time I flew international was about 18 months ago and at that time  they wouldn't let you take more than 100mls of liquid (in a see thru bottle) as hand luggage. So unless Welshlady's partner is getting the physeptone tabs the methadone liquid will have to go as "hold baggage" . The other thing is the customs declaration, most countries seem to be OK with methadone as long as everything is legal, you have a doctors letter and you* declare it* I don't know how they'd react to finding a load of undeclared methadone in her partners luggage or how he is going to get around declaring it without Welshlady finding out he's on methadone. If it's 
his plan to smuggle it in without declaring it to maintain his secret from Welshlady he could come unstuck badly in a place like Egypt.

Not trying to be a herald of doom I'm just interested in how he plans on going about getting his  methadone into the country legally or otherwise. Good  luck though Welshlady.

Flip

"Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither"
welsh lady

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 08:44:47 AM »

I broached the subject the other day ,i said to him in a round about way that you cant take codeine phosphate into egypt as they are so strict so i said i will have to get a doctors note to which he replied -rubbish just put it in your case and not hand luggage they will never find it !!!.so thats his answer he thinks he is going to wing it that way -no letter just his bottles in his locked hold case like he has done on every other previous holiday ,I am hoping and praying we will be ok like we have been on other foreign holidays!!!!He reckons they dont scan every suitcase and it will be ok !!!
Fluoro

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 10:24:22 AM »

I went to Turkey & took meth with me, & have since found out that it is prohibited there.

What I would like to know is in these countries where even weak opiates are banned, what do they give for chronic/acute pain, in say illnesses such as arthritis, or worse still cancer?
Flip

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 11:43:43 AM »

Its not so much that they don't use or have  opiates in those countries tomo, they obviously have to for medical reasons. The really strict laws are about *smuggling*. After all you will still get busted for smuggling heroin into the UK even though it's licensed for some medical uses here.

I don't want to go on and on about this because Welshlady is already worried enough. I'll just say that I had a couple of run-ins with customs many years ago (not going through airports) and it was enough to put the fear  into me! Customs isn't just the guys you see in uniforms hanging around airports, there's whole  organisation and technology/techniques behind them that its hard to believe unless you've had some experience of it .

In a sense Welshladys partner is right they cant scan every suitcase so you can be lucky, but the opposite is also true. There's a lot more to walking through a customs checkpoint than them simply scanning random suitcases. There is a random pattern in who they choose to search that's true, but thats only one layer of many and there's also a lot of other things that can bring you to their attention without you realising it There's a reason people carrying things through airport customs are known as "mules" and it's not just because they carry stuff...

All I can really suggest to to Welshlady  is that she sets up a "speed dial" on her mobile phone and keeps her hand on it in her pocket so she can hit a single button and let someone back in the UK know if problems develop. Because when they do it's in a hurry, you don't have a chance to do much and the first thing they will do is take your phone.

Personally if I was in this situation, I'd go to Bournemouth!

Flip

simon

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 12:07:18 PM »

http://egyptianconsulate.co.uk/FAQ.php
I just phoned them it's clear in the link that you can't take it, they were really rude on the phone. I asked what would happen if someone didn't declare it, she couldn't answer and said 'YOU CANNOT FETCH METHADONE INTO THE COUNTRY'
A letter from a doctor is to allow you to export it from the UK and to detail the medication. I thought it would be no problem going to Egypt with methadone.
bp

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 12:19:04 PM »

Fliip is right!! It's not just about strolling through customs looking nonchalant, which in your case Welsh Lady is unlikely as you're so stressed out by the whole affair,but the entire holiday will be overshadowed by paranoia, worries that you're being watched, followed. Can you imagine if your partner had to dump his methadone and you had to spend a fortnight with him withdrawing.  I cannot believe that this fašade is still going on, you pretending you don't know your partner is on methadone; how stressful must that be for you. If he is going to become unstuck at customs somewhere it would be better that it doesn't happen in Egypt, apart from their attitude towards drugs there is a lot of unrest there just now. If something does happen at customs and your partner is anything like mine, it's fair to assume that you'll get the blame. As Flip says, Bournemouth is a safer option and the weather is improving now.

I am in no way making light of your situation, in fact I don't know how you've put up with it for so long When are you going on holiday?

bp

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 12:25:58 PM »

Well, I think Simon has given you the definitive answer to your question. If your partner wants to visit Egypt then I suggest he goes on his own, tell him you're ill or something if you feel you can't confront him about the methadone but your relationship is based on a tissue of lies and deceit and the truth will out sooner rather than later. Give us a call on the helpline if you feel like having a chat

All the Best

B
Flip

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 01:33:10 PM »

That's a good point Simon, it's easy to forget that the doctors letter is really only for the* export* of the methadone  from the UK. Letting another countries nationals import methadone or other opiates for personal use based on a doctors recommendation is more of  a courtesy than anything else , there are conventions but if they decide to be discourteous.... Well let's just say half a dozen guys pushing and shoving you, jabbering in a strange language and waving sub-machine guns under your nose is something best avoided!

After Simons conversation with the embassy, I'd seriously rethink this one.

Flip 

derek d j

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 01:37:59 PM »

When are you going on holiday?  

Don't answer that!  Spies from the Egyptian embassy may be scanning the site right now, looking for the fiend planning to take methadone into their country.  Perhaps they think you'll corrupt their youth.  It's funny they specifically mention methadone as their one prohibited medication.

If he's white and arrives on a tourist package flight, the odds are in your boyfriend's favour.  But I'd still make chums with those OAPs from Glamorgan and walk through customs with them.  Let your boyfriend follow fifty paces behind and catch up if he makes it. I'd hope they only confiscate it if he doesn't.  He can always stumble round the Casbah looking for the psst aritsts, you stay poolside.  If you aim for harm prevention, take the advice and head for Bournemouth.  If you're resigned to reducing the damage, remind him that foreign customs are less familiar with 'physeptone' than 'methadone' and hope his bottles are labelled accordingly.
welsh lady

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 02:41:11 PM »

oh EFFING HELL!!!!! thanks for all your replies and support ,He will not cough up to me and he wont go out of his way to get a doctors letter he will gamble and try his luck ,I think there is physptone on his bottles - i will look in his hiding place tonight and have a read,my worst nightmare would be for him to lose his medication -oh my god it makes me feel ill thinking about that situation!! he cried like a baby when he had an ear infection in europe a few years back with me and i was forced to hide the pain killers the doctor had given him.We are going well lets just say in April sometime I pray it will be ok he has worked hard 7 days a week to pay for the bugger and even cut down to 1 bag a week if my sherlock holmes head serves me right-but like i say i have been through this before on the other holidays with him and i never relax till i am in my hotel!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: