Visit The Alliance Homepage

Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 05:40:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
26457 Posts in 2747 Topics by 489 Members Latest Member: - somethingvague Most online today: 68 - most online ever: 281 (July 08, 2008, 08:04:09 PM)
+  The Alliance Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Ask a Question
| | |-+  Going on holiday to Corfu - can I take my methadone ?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Going on holiday to Corfu - can I take my methadone ?  (Read 4802 times)
TopCat

« on: March 15, 2010, 01:03:54 PM »

Hi,

My partner and I are planning on going to Corfu for a 2 week holiday in September. I am on 80 mils daily and my partner is on 100 mls daily. This would work out at me taking 1120 mls and my partner taking 1400 mls. Will this be a problem ?

Last year we went to Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands for 14 days with our meds in our suitcases well bubble wrapped and with towells providing extra cushioning and GP letters confirming our dosage etc enlosed. Everything worked out fine and we went another holiday later in the year to Bulgaria and again everything was fine - ( again we had GP letters confirming our dosages and the types of medication as we are also prescribed diazepam ) - Again everything was fine.

I just want to make sure that Greece does not have different laws as years ago I heard that Methadone was not allowed to be taken into Greece. Can anybody out there give me any info as it would be great to put these worries to bed.

Thanks,

Kind Regards,
TopCat. Undecided
bp

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 01:46:45 PM »

If you go to Resources on our home page and scroll down to Travel, there is advice on travelling with methadone. Although it doesn't deal with Corfu specifically, there is information on Greece, and although it is a few years out of date, I believe they only update if the information changes.

Beryl
ursula
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 07:57:01 PM »

Just to add to what Beryl says, please make sure to ring the embassy and check that it's ok to carry your methadone with you.  It's also worth asking your GP if he/she is willing to prescribe tablets rather than liquid when you're travelling.
TopCat

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 07:19:20 PM »

Thanks for your advice - i will phone the greek consulate and check - I have already spoken with my pharmacist whom I have a good relationship with and she thinks a covering letter from my GP will suffice.

Again, thanks for replying.

Kind Regards,

TopCat. Lips Sealed
simon

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 09:14:28 PM »

Also see if you can get prescribed the tablets so no suitcase dramas.
Mark R.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 07:23:48 PM »

Just to add to what Beryl says, please make sure to ring the embassy and check that it's ok to carry your methadone with you.  It's also worth asking your GP if he/she is willing to prescribe tablets rather than liquid when you're travelling.

Indeed Beryl dear - remember me? Need to inform the Consulates of both countries (NOT the embassies) with your methadone prescriber's letter saying that you have methadone for personal use, in what dose and what quantity etc. I went to Majorca in 2005 (IIRC) and all was fine. In the USA - THEORETICALLY it is fine but you can come across to a trooper who thinks HE is the law (i.e. is outside the law) and may judge you according to his half-baked ideas. Personally, I would avoid the USA like **** as the idea of internal probing whilst naked does not fill me with excitement - though each to his own. I'm not someone who would adversely judge anyone who might find it a treat. BTW - papers can make no difference whatsoever. Even if you had GOD's seal on it - the Texas customs guy may insist he is the law and might whisk away all precious methadone, get it analysed over a week or so and make you wait and suffer and ... well, you know. As Dirty Harry said: Are you feeling lucky, .. punk? (no offence intended - just a quote).

Kind wishes,

Mark Rx
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: