Visit The Alliance Homepage

Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 07:35:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25855 Posts in 2715 Topics by 448 Members Latest Member: - RMullan Most online today: 37 - most online ever: 281 (July 08, 2008, 08:04:09 PM)
+  The Alliance Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Why has methadone increased in street value?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Why has methadone increased in street value?  (Read 22473 times)
Fluoro

« on: January 06, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »

I have been meaning to ask this question for a while now...

Has anyone got any idea why methadone has shot up in street value? I can remember in the mid to late nineties you could buy 100ml of 1mg/1ml for 5, now you mostly have to pay 10 for the same amount. I appreciate that the value of a 5 note is now lower than it was in the nineties, but Inflation does'nt really affect drugs. In fact, most other street drugs have decreased in value since the nineties? The only reason I can think of is the impact supervised consumption has had on availability?
saramcgrail
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 06:43:43 PM »

Is this a national thing or does it vary from area to area (fascinating question btw) - S
banksy
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 10:31:30 AM »

I dont know where your from Tomo but Green linctus has always been 10.00 a 100mg/ml in all the cities I have inhabitied over the years. 15.00 if its Phy tablets 5mg for 100mg. now Subutex/Bup thats the one thats dirt cheap around these parts.
Fluoro

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 10:34:16 AM »

I don't know how methadone is priced throughout the country. The street cost I was talking about is for north west England.
Fluoro

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 10:41:47 AM »

I have been fortunate enough to not need to buy it for a while (I just got some over christmas)...I have bought meth in Liverpool, Manchester and other north west towns, and 9 times out of 10 paid 5 for 100ml...I know the tabs have a bigger street value though..
banksy
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 02:04:50 PM »

Middle england has always been cheaper, round manch's, l/pool and b/ham. london,brighton, beds have always been the standard tenner.
debs

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 11:19:54 AM »

I have always paid 10 for 100ml and i must admit i have paid 10 for 50ml a couple of times to an unscrupulous bastard. Obviously phy tabs are different as you could bang them up, if particularly daft and like the chalk, and I think they go for a 1 here for a 5mg tab, Obviously, you will pay even more for amps and i've paid 15 for a 50mg concentrated amp back in the days when i injected and also where i would have split the amp with somebody else so i woul have got a good buzz off 25ml!! Hard to believe now. I live in east anglia but i have lived all over and i think these are the prices things usualyy go for unless someone is really desperate for a hit and would sell a load of meth for a pittance.

Cheers,
Deb
Edward M
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 03:30:38 PM »

Since the mid 1980's methadone linctus, at 10mg per 10ml, has generally been priced at 10 per 100ml. Prior to the
50mg per 1ml ampoule, the more common 10mg per 1ml would cost, on average 5 per ampoule. The 50mg amps
started at 25 each but rapidly dropped to 15 - 10 depending on whether you happened to be in the West End of
London or outside/in the vicinity of an appropriate chemist. I have found that the price of 5mg Physeptone tabs has
actually reduced over approx. 20 years from 1.50 down to 50pence. Users have wised up on the amount of chalk to
be injected in even a small(?) dose.
While being a methadone addict for 25 years I think the use of the drug in opiate addiction to be insidious. My local
Substance Misuse Commissioner finds it hard to believe that many heroin addicts will remain "TX Naive" simply because
they do not wish to become methadone addicts! Sadly, however, I believe more are willing to use methadone due to
the incredibly poor quality of "heroin" available. Many of you will be aware e.g. of the batch of so called heroin which
caused a number of deaths in the Vauxhall area and as far west as Swindon recently. The product was a mix of a
powerful benzodiazepine and caffeine. This problem is on the increase and we all know the reason(?). Where heroin is available, an addict might use maybe 2 10 bags per day = to 5 - 10 mg diamorphine per bag. Maybe only 20mgs per day.
Using methadone for that level of dependence is like taking the proverbial hammer to crack a nut is it not?
Fluoro

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 02:36:26 PM »

Edward (or anyone in the know),
Do you know what the dose conversion is between methadone and diamorphine? e.g; if a patient is on 125ml methadone 1mg/1ml per day, what daily dose of diamorphine would they need to hold them, bearing in mind that diamorphine has to be taken 3-4 times a day and methadone is usually just taken once.
purplehearts
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 09:47:57 AM »

well i know where i live it has gone up hugely in value because for the past six months or so the gear has been total crap!!! its been the same stuff for ages, this white stuff that congeales straight away, somebody must have bought tons of the stuff because its been hard to get anything else for ages now.
i live in a city and i have never known it to be this bad before, there has been crap gear around before but never for more than a couple of days.
so methadone is like liquid gold now as you can imagine!
Tony.B.
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 12:35:55 PM »

As with Will C i in my eperience or knowledge middle england has generally demanded a tenner for 100ml og 1mg/1ml.
As for the conversion Tomo i did do one of the se conversions in an lod thread... I'll try and look it up again.
My best
TonyB
MotherSuperior
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 08:10:16 PM »

Since the mid 1980's methadone linctus, at 10mg per 10ml, has generally been priced at 10 per 100ml. Prior to the
50mg per 1ml ampoule, the more common 10mg per 1ml would cost, on average 5 per ampoule. The 50mg amps
started at 25 each but rapidly dropped to 15 - 10 depending on whether you happened to be in the West End of
London or outside/in the vicinity of an appropriate chemist. I have found that the price of 5mg Physeptone tabs has
actually reduced over approx. 20 years from 1.50 down to 50pence. Users have wised up on the amount of chalk to
be injected in even a small(?) dose.
While being a methadone addict for 25 years I think the use of the drug in opiate addiction to be insidious. My local
Substance Misuse Commissioner finds it hard to believe that many heroin addicts will remain "TX Naive" simply because
they do not wish to become methadone addicts! Sadly, however, I believe more are willing to use methadone due to
the incredibly poor quality of "heroin" available. Many of you will be aware e.g. of the batch of so called heroin which
caused a number of deaths in the Vauxhall area and as far west as Swindon recently. The product was a mix of a
powerful benzodiazepine and caffeine. This problem is on the increase and we all know the reason(?). Where heroin is available, an addict might use maybe 2 10 bags per day = to 5 - 10 mg diamorphine per bag. Maybe only 20mgs per day.
Using methadone for that level of dependence is like taking the proverbial hammer to crack a nut is it not?

Edward, I remember those days I was actually on an amp script at the time from the infamous Dr. Garfoot. I remember 50ml/1ml amps being sold freely for as low as 10.... I could still get amps if my job prospects were so bleak at this time(not because of the recession, my job is recession proof to a large extent)... I remember people waiting at Centre Point to try and find someone who could not afford their script then they'd go and chip in money for the script and get good deals on some amps+dex for their investment. Of course I was happy on my script, I wish I never stopped it; it would have made it harder for them to put me on the green mixture as I could of claimed it's what I was used to and it kept me stable.... although I still get the dexxie's which I should be very grateful for as even the private clinics have stopped scripting those to people I hear.

I am still trying/figting to get my amps back but it is going to be VERY difficult. The annoying thing is that amps used to be traded around the West End(not by me they didn't)

When o when will the results for the RIOT trials be out? Does anyone have any idea if it's good news? I hope so, the this will REALLY help get amps back once we can prove they are clinically effective.

I could always find a niche in the market on ebay....
skroe

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 01:46:07 PM »

Why would anybody want to sell there Methadone? for a 10 for a bag, I know people that tend to do this at times, they will swap there weekend meth, (or weekend bank holidays) for a half gram bag of crap, thats not going to get them stoned has much, then there sweating etc for their meth come Monday.

Puzzles me.
mcdermott
Omar's coming...
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 03:57:34 PM »

I remember 50ml/1ml amps being sold freely for as low as 10....

The going rate for a 20mg amp in Liverpool as of last week was 5.

100mg mixture = 5, 100mg amps = 25

Not sure why anyone would sell them though. Whenever I've bought them, it's always been from alcoholics who figured out a good scam to ensure their daily drinking money.
Fluoro

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 05:50:50 PM »

Skroe,
I agree, why would someone sell their meth for a bag? The only time I would understand this, is if a person has blagged the severity of their habit to the clinic, and they are what I call 'giro junkies', and can have a few bags on pay day, then go a few days without anything...But thats not a habit really is it?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: