Visit The Alliance Homepage

Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 12:25:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
26417 Posts in 2743 Topics by 487 Members Latest Member: - Julia_Gulia Most online today: 58 - most online ever: 281 (July 08, 2008, 08:04:09 PM)
+  The Alliance Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Ask a Question
| | |-+  Cocaine shelf life
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cocaine shelf life  (Read 24675 times)
Jules

« on: November 26, 2007, 02:06:23 PM »

Can anyone tell me if cocaine "goes off" after a year or so or does it just lose its potency?

Thanks

Jules
mikey
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 12:32:21 PM »

Having some on a shelf untouched for a year seems pretty far fetched to me.
Jules

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 02:29:34 PM »

Are you calling me a liar?  Actually I FOUND it tucked away in a book....it's from my drinking days as I am an alcoholic who gave up a year ago and am in the habit of hiding things from my partner who is a drug user.

I was asking for advice not a patronising comment thank you.

Julie
Jim

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 04:05:44 PM »

I think this was meant as a flippant joke rather than as patronisation but I think it was ill advised and not very polite.  To answer your question, I have not heard of Cocaine going off, so I would say it would still work.  I have not heard of any drugs actually going off though organic varieties (herbal cannabis, magic mushrooms) can obviously rot if not dried correctly.
Jules

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 04:28:13 PM »

Thanks for the straightforward answer Jim.  I'm recovering from pretty major surgery and coping with the stress of my partner's addictions as well as handling my own particular demons so I apologise for my sense of humour failure.  Believe it or not, I'll save the charlie till I really need a lift, lol!

Thanks again.

Jules
dave penn
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 06:44:27 PM »

Hi Jules,

Your question about 'Cocaine Shelf Life' is exactly what this forum is about!! but we all have to be aware that at times responses to these inquirys sometimes provoke responses that come from individuals own personal experience. I think that is why 'Mikeys' answer appeared patronising to you. I'm sure anybody whose primary drug use had been cocaine/crack or heroin would find it impossible to think that some of their drug of choice had been sat tucked up in book for over 12mths and had not been searched for or used as soon as the first hit wears off.

As to the shelf life I can only concur with Jim but add that given the fact that 'illicit' cocaine usually contains some form of adulterant it is possible that it might have a detrimental effect on the longevity of its potency but until someone researches the issue of 'street drug adulterants' we will never really know.

Dave Penn;
mikey
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 03:33:05 PM »

I most certainly do genuinely apologise . One of the biggest break-throughs in my own recovery was when I was able to wake up in the morning and still have some left from the night before. Such an event had previously seemed impossible to even imagine. Sorry.

However, I believe all drugs are subject to change over time - strangely enough some (like paracetemol I believe) actually get stronger past their 'use by date'. Cocaine itself is a salt and subject to change by the presence of moisture in the air so in theory it should change over the year but if you check out a carton of table salt you might find that it does not have a 'use by date' on it! So perhaps the change due to moisture in the air is purely a physical one and not a chemical one in which case it might be dried out if damp.

Either way, my very honest advise to you is this. Cocaine is very more-ish. It is a bad road to go down. I would chuck it now.
Jules

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 05:47:08 PM »

Mikey, apology accepted and I'm sorry for jumping down your throat - I must be getting cranky in my old age!  Thanks also to Dave for putting things into perspective.

All the best.

Jules
mcdermott
Omar's coming...
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 11:06:53 PM »

I once had a one ounce bottle of pharmaceutical cocaine that was manufactured in 1922. (This was back in 1972, so the bottle would have been 50 years old.) I'm pretty sure that the cocaine in that bottle was as strong as it was on the day that it was manufactured -- though I've only got my own subjective experience as a measure.

The answer really depends on how the cocaine is stored, whether there are any impurities and what those impurities are. This cocaine, stored in a full, sealed, air-tight, light-proof, one ounce pharmaceutical bottle in a chemist's DDA cabinet prior to liberation was still as close to an ounce as dammit, and still indistinguishable from pure cocaine.

However, if you had a bag that had been inexpertly processed, still contained the various by-products of the illicit manufacture (such as benzene, etc.), was adulterated by various unidentified cutting agents. was wrapped in some dubious plastic bags or a condom and had travelled half way around the world inside a drug mule's rectum, I wouldn't be anywhere near as likely to vouch for the quality of that product over time.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: